Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Inga Muscio

In light of my boyfriend purchasing Muscio's book, Cunt, last week, I have stolen it from him and am reading it myself. Even though I don't fall completely in line with all of Muscio's opinions, I still have to force myself to put the book down and not keep reading which is part of the reason I'm going to share the following quote with you. The other part is that one of my speech team students "Q" competes in Poetry Reading with a program revealing some of the truths and horrors about domestic abuse and rape. Unfortunately, a judge from another school kept Q from winning the tournament by ranking her in last place for performing something that was "too political" and "inappropriate." Although, I wish Q had won this weekend, it's just one tournament. What I am more impressed with is Q's ability to make someone so angry with the truth that she undeservingly put Q in last place. So, for Q:
"Words outlive people, institutions, civilizations. Words spur images, associates, memories, inspirations and synapse pulsations. Words send off physical resonations of thought into the nethersphere. Words hurt, soothe, inspire, demean, demands, incite, pacify, teach, romance, pervert, unite, divide.
Words be powerful."

No comments:

Post a Comment