Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fireflies


Fireflies in the Garden

Here come real stars to fill the upper skies,
And here on earth come emulating flies,
That though they never equal stars in size,
(And they were never really stars at heart)
Achieve at times a very star-like start.
Only, of course, they can't sustain the part.
-Robert Frost

I have to be forthright here in admitting that modern poetry isn't exactly my forte, and that this poem isn't necessarily my favorite poem, but more like my most familiar. When I took a class on modern poetry I stumbled across this poem and every time I saw fireflies after reading it, the poem always popped into my mind and made me smile. It's short, somewhat silly, and I feel like it pokes a bit of fun at itself. I would actually designate some of Yeats' poetry where he describes adventures with nymphs and fay as most beautiful to me, but since it's his earlier work I'm not sure it qualifies as modern poetry (I believe it was designated as "Celtic Twilight," but I may be wrong). I can't remember enough of the particular poem I'm thinking about to find it online (and I don't have my book with me either), or else I would have posted it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment