Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Portal Puddles


I know this isn't the best picture, but it serves well to give the general idea. I'm not commenting on the beauty of the picture itself, but on the thing in the picture. Not too long ago I visited a forest preserve after a rainfall, and I noticed all these very small, odd puddles scattered around the picnic area. I remembered them vaguely from childhood, so I went for a closer look. It seems like all of the exposed roots of the trees collected water until it formed a very reflective puddle. In such a small space, you could see the sky, the canopy, and sometimes even yourself reflected. When I was little, I used to imagine that these puddles were actually portals (probably after reading a few very imaginative books), and then if you could jump through them, the canopy reflected in the puddle would be directly above your head. Needless to say, this inspired many hours of rambles in my imagination and tons of enjoyment, which is a big part of the reason why I find the temporary portal puddles so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment