Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Love

I’m intrigued by the way Ficino links love and beauty, which seems to depart drastically from notions of disinterestedness. For him, “When we say Love, we mean by that term the desire for beauty, for this is the definition of Love among all philosophers.” Beauty designates love just as the objective of love is the enjoyment of the beautiful. In human relationships, the mutual love between a lover and the beloved sanctions a kind of recognition of the manifestation of beauty in one another (and the resulting love each feels toward it). I admire the essential simplicity of Ficino’s point—the beauty resides in the attraction or reverence between two individuals.

For lack of an adequate representative, I’ve posted a rather non-applicable example, which should actually be fulfilled by the role of the loved one of any individual. This is more hypothetical, but I think you get the idea. (I can’t say that I’m in love with Cillian Murphy exactly, but I think he’s beautiful, either way..)

No comments:

Post a Comment