Monday, October 31, 2011

Desiree


This photograph was taken by local artist Andre Perez. The person closest to the camera is my friend Desiree. When I first saw this shot, I was struck by the fact that I knew the most prominent person in the photo. Andre had submitted the photo to me for the magazine I run at Loyola, and Desiree's smile and energy just popped out at me from the screen. It was a beautiful moment of shock: seeing my friend so happy to be a part of a queer community and feeling like her smile was meant for me, even though she probably still doesn't know that I have this picture. And maybe I love that someone else can see the beauty that I see in someone else, beauty that isn't always recognized. But I think this post is really about the beauty of friendship, community, and coincidence. I don't know. I just know that every time I think about it, I feel moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment