Thursday, September 1, 2011

Non-Imitative Art.

Rothko: "Earth and Green"
I've chosen Rothko because as I was reflecting on the reading for today, I started to wonder exactly whose works would be permitted in the ideal city. It couldn't be someone who was making representations of natural objects. It definitely couldn't be Magritte, who rubs the fact that his works are representations only in the viewer's face. It could only be a conceptual artist.
Of conceptual artists divorced from representation, the biggest name is Jackson Pollock. While I find his work intellectually compelling, I've never found it beautiful. Rothko, however, has always affected me very deeply. This image loses a lot of the raw emotive power that his often gargantuan canvasses can exert, but the simplicity of the form and the reliance on abstraction to convey meaning are still present. The Art Insitute's Modern Wing has at least one Rothko on display if you're interested in the real deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment