Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Music!

Vocal music in particular. My favorite happens to be choral/classical music, and I feel it can even coincide with Kant's idea of the beautiful because it isn't only pleasant for me to listen to, it excites this indescribable reaction within me that screams, "how beautiful!" This same reaction is elicited from other singing, but with choral music it is much stronger because I feel like there is a sense of complete immersion in the music. A good example of this is Mozart's Larcymosa, which is actually a little different depending on who is conducting I suppose, but I find the above version an excellent traditional interpretation, and this one is an interesting interpretation, with a kind of twist. I find both equally beautiful. I feel the immersion is a particularly important part of the experience of this kind of music because it busies your mind (but in a good way) so you can't focus on one aspect, or find a concept to go with it, it's all you can do to take in the music! Solo singers can sing just as beautifully, as seen here, but it is much easier to focus on words, or concepts, or technique, and then you're doing more than just taking in the sensation of music. This isn't necessarily bad, as it is possible that this can enrich your experience of this beauty, but maybe this analyzing would also disqualify a soloist singing from being beautiful in Kantian terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment