Monday, September 12, 2011

Bubble Pop


I really can't claim to be an expert on Korean pop songs, but I really enjoy this video for a number of reasons: The Americana is strangely delightful (the Derrick Rose jersey, the Hummer in the background, and the weird Roy Lichtenstein allusions), the song is infectiously catchy, and the dub-step bridge is both unexpected and wonderful.

The main thing that I really like about this song, however, is that the only words I understand from it are the chorus (the "Hey Boy" and the "Bubble Pop") which, of course, are totally bereft of meaning. In fact, that's why I find it beautiful, because it is an almost perfectly assembled, manufactured-ready pop song, and nothing else. It's not trying to sell an idea, or capitalize on teen angst, or to attach itself to an abstract cause: it's merely fulfilling its only function, to be an incredibly catchy summer tune. It's honest about what it is, and I find that to be beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment