Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Eternity in an Hour

"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour."
-William Blake

I took a Romantic Period British Literature class last semester, and when we were going over Blake this quote really stuck with me. It's actually hard for me to say what exactly is so beautiful about this quote, it might be the theological implications (from what I gleaned, Blake had very interesting conclusions and ideas about religion that didn't always fit the standard teachings), or just the vastness that Blake is able to convey with such few words. The meaning is a challenge to wrap your head around, but it is an excellent exercise in your imagination to try. Perhaps it is because this quote appeals to my imagination so much that I find it so beautiful. There is just this aura around all fruits of the imagination, the purely imaginary that makes it seem beautiful and unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment